News & Press
Read about recent events, essential information and the latest community news.
- Retirement Announcement Thursday September 26th, 2019Dear CSAM Members: I recently announced to the CSAM Board of Directors that I will retire from my position as CSAM’s
- DHCS is forming a new Behavioral Health Stakeholder Advisory Committee Tuesday April 30th, 2019CSAM members: Per the DHCS letter, several current DHCS behavioral health advisory groups are being merged
- CSAM Receives State Targeted Response (STR) Grant Thursday March 01st, 2018The California Society of Addiction Medicine (CSAM) was selected by the California Department of Health Care Services (DHCS) to be part of a statewide collaborative project that includes UCLA Integrated Substance Abuse Programs, to increase access to addiction treatment, reduce unmet treatment need, and reduce opioid overdose related deaths through the provision of prevention, treatment and recovery activities ...
- 2021 Addiction Medicine Review Track Wednesday November 10th, 2021Resources available at the education center.
- FDA Responds to Dr. Albanese’s April 19, 2021 Letter Tuesday July 20th, 2021The FDA has responded to Dr. Albanese’s letter to them from April 19, 2021. CLICK HERE to view the response!
- FDA Commits to Evidence-Based Actions Aimed at Saving Lives and Preventing Future Generations of Smokers Friday April 30th, 2021Today, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration announced it is committing to advancing…
- CSAM Newsletter – Vol. 45 Issue #2 (Winter 2020) Thursday December 31st, 2020The Newest Issue of the CSAM Newsletter is available. If you haven’t seen it yet, CLICK HERE to read it! This issue features the President’s message by CSAM President, Anthony Albanese; 2020 Public Policy Report; and Updates from the Education Committee!
- The ABPM & ASAM Announce a Four-Year Extension of the Practice Pathway for Addiction Medicine Wednesday December 09th, 2020Chicago, IL, November 30, 2020: The American Board of Preventive Medicine (ABPM) and the American Society of Addiction Medicine (ASAM) jointly announced today the American Board of Medical Specialties’ (ABMS) approval of a four-year extension of the practice… Click Here to Read the entire article.
- DEA Issues Interim Final Rule Clarifying MAT Dispensing Friday November 06th, 2020The Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) issued an Interim Final Rule to clarify sections of the 2018 SUPPORT for Patients and Communities Act. The provisions in the Rule seek to further expand providers’ abilities to prescribe medication assisted treatment (MAT) to individuals suffering from opioid use disorders. Key items addressed in the Rule include: Providers can prescribe MAT for up ...
- Press Release: Gov. Newsom, Lt. Gov. Kounalakis To California: Beware Big Tobacco’s Lies and Deception to Overturn Landmark Law to Protect Kids Tuesday October 13th, 2020Click Here to read the Press Release.
- CSAM Newsletter Winter 2019 Issue Monday October 21st, 2019Winter 2019 CSAM Newsletter An Interview with CSAM’s New President Dr. Anthony Albanese – Pgs. 1-2; 7 Low Barrier Buprenorphine for Opioid Use Disorder: A Feasible Strategy to Save Lives and Livelihoods – Pgs. 3; 11 CSAM Addiction Medicine Review Course and Board Exam Preparation Track 2019 – Pgs. 4-5 Timmen Cermak, MD Receives Vernelle Fox Award – Pg. ...
- Governor signs two addiction treatment reform measures, vetoes two others Tuesday October 15th, 2019This past week Governor Gavin Newsom signed AB-919 (Petrie-Norris) which promises to crack down on financial conflicts-of-interest among rehab operators by limiting how they offer housing and transportation as inducements to treatment. It will require that laboratories that test blood or urine for drugs, or outpatient treatment programs that offer housing to clients, have separate housing contracts specifically ...
- Newly Released: Guidelines for Physicians Working in California Opioid Treatment Programs Wednesday September 25th, 2019The California Society of Addiction Medicine (CSAM) just released an update to its “Guidelines for Physicians Working in California Opioid Treatment Programs (OTPs)” developed to provide an overview and discussion of the matters of clinical care that fall under the responsibility of the Opioid Treatment Program (OTP) Medical Director and Program Physicians. The Guidelines were prepared and ...
- MERF Connects with a record 85 Scholars in 2020! Monday June 07th, 2021
- Prepare for Important ACTION on Tobacco Use Addiction Monday June 07th, 2021
- CSAM Legislative Update Monday June 07th, 2021