Membership in CSAM is coupled with membership in ASAM. You join both the state chapter (CSAM) and the national organization (ASAM) simultaneously and receive the benefits of both concurrently.
CSAM Member Portal (For Existing Members)
Apply Online for ASAM/CSAM Membership
CSAM Membership Types & Dues:
(CSAM membership requires ASAM membership)
Physician Members: ASAM: $500 | CSAM: $225 ($725 Total)
Members must be licensed to practice allopathic or osteopathic medicine.
Associate Member: ASAM: $260 | CSAM: $105 ($365 Total)
Open to individuals non-physicians who teach, conduct research or provide clinical care for individuals who are at risk for, or have a substance use disorder.
Early Career Physicians: ASAM: $250 | CSAM: $108 ($358 Total)
Physicians members in their first two years after completing an accredited residency or fellowship program or in their first two years of practicing Addiction Medicine as a significant portion of their practice.
Residents: ASAM: $40 | CSAM: $30 ($70 Total)
Interns or residents, with a valid medical license or an equivalent certifying document. Resident membership is limited to a maximum of 5 years while in training.
Health Profession Students & Addiction Medicine Program Fellows: $0 (always zero cost)
Students or physicians enrolled in an accredited University, Institution or Addiction Medicine Fellowship Program.
Retired: ASAM: $150 | CSAM: $60 ($210 Total)
Member who are 65 years of age or older and are no longer practicing medicine, or are disabled. Retired members may vote in Society elections, but may not hold elected national office.
- ASAM and CSAM are the largest leading professional societies actively seeking to define and expand the field of addiction medicine.
- Free copies of ASAM News and the Journal of Addiction Medicine. Both are also available online. (Note: Early Career Physicians, Residents, and Students receive only online-access to the journal, print copies are not mailed to these members) Published six times per year, the Journal of Addiction Medicine is the official journal of the American Society of Addiction Medicine. It is currently ranked tenth in the Substance Abuse category of the 2012 Journal Citation Reports’ Science Edition. The Journal is designed for all physicians and other mental health professionals who need to keep up-to-date with the treatment of addiction disorders. Under the guidance of an esteemed Editorial Board, peer-reviewed articles published in the Journal focus on developments in addiction medicine as well as on treatment innovations and ethical, economic, forensic, and social topics. [Preview the Journal]
- A subscription to ASAM Weekly, which is a weekly e-news brief with timely news briefings covering top stories in addiction medicine combined with ASAM developments in education, advocacy, state chapter news and more.
- A subscription to the CSAM Newsletter (2-3 issues per year) and periodic CSAM eNews alerts on topics of specific interest to clinicians practicing in California.
- Discounts on conference registrations for ASAM and CSAM conferences.
- Discounts on educational content from ASAM and CSAM conferences that are available online through ASAM’s Live Learning Center and CSAM’s CME Education Center from website as audio synched to PowerPoint presentations with handouts. CME credit is available as well.
- ASAM’s Fellow designation gives recognition to and raises awareness of ASAM members who are board certified addiction specialists. ASAM Fellows are able to use the FASAM designation after their name and use the special ASAM Fellow logo on certain pre-authorized items. To qualify for the FASAM designation, physicians must be members of ASAM for two consecutive years and be currently certified in Addiction Medicine by the American Board of Addiction Medicine (ABAM) OR in Addiction Psychiatry by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology (ABPN). [Read more about Designations]
- The ASAM and CSAM Career Centers offer discounts to members for posting position openings, and as well as the ability to post positions with the National Healthcare Network (NHCN) – a growing network of over 200 top healthcare associations and professional organizations.
- Access to a network of leading experts in the field; meet friends, colleagues, mentors, role models, admired experts, and more in ASAM and CSAM.
- Listing on the Physician Locator on the CSAM website with detailed practice information.
- Opportunities for involvement on the committees that carry out the ongoing work of CSAM including: