- Governor Newsom Releases Master Plan for Tackling the Fentanyl and Opioid Crisis Monday March 20th, 2023
Governor Newsom has invested over $1 billion to tackle the crisisThrough CalRx, California will seek to manufacture its own NaloxoneMaster Plan provides comprehensive approach to save more lives
SAN DIEGO COUNTY – Today, following a visit to the San Ysidro Port of Entry, Governor Gavin Newsom released his administration’s Master Plan for Tackling the Fentanyl and ...
- DEA Announces Important Change to Registration Requirement Tuesday January 31st, 2023
On December 29, 2022, with the signing of the Consolidated Appropriations Act of 2023 (the Act), Congress eliminated the “DATA-Waiver Program.”
All DEA registrants should be aware of the following:
A DATA-Waiver registration is no longer required to treat patients with buprenorphine for opioid use disorder.
Going forward, all prescriptions for buprenorphine only require a standard DEA registration ...
- End of Buprenorphine X-Waiver Wednesday January 25th, 2023
After almost twenty years of intense medication specific government regulation buprenorphine is now just like other schedule III medications. The era of limited numbers of treatment slots that started at 30 patients per provider who had completed 8 hours of specific training, requirements to maintain lists of patients who received prescriptions and even in person visits ...
- CSAM News – October 2022 Thursday October 06th, 2022
The CSAM News was recently published! Featured articles include Conference Photos, Like Minded Docs, President’s Message, CSAM 50th Anniversary Bash & More!
- CSAM Sponsored Legislation Heads to the Governor for Signature Wednesday August 03rd, 2022
SACRAMENTO – The California Society of Addiction Medicine (CSAM) is pleased to announce that SB 57 (Wiener) was passed by the California Senate on August 1, and now heads to Governor Gavin Newsom for…
- FDA Responds to Dr. Albanese’s April 19, 2021 Letter Tuesday July 20th, 2021
The FDA has responded to Dr. Albanese’s letter to them from April 19, 2021.
CLICK HERE to view the response!
- FDA Commits to Evidence-Based Actions Aimed at Saving Lives and Preventing Future Generations of Smokers Friday April 30th, 2021
Today, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration announced it is committing to advancing…
- CSAM Newsletter – Vol. 45 Issue #2 (Winter 2020) Thursday December 31st, 2020
The Newest Issue of the CSAM Newsletter is available. If you haven’t seen it yet, CLICK HERE to read it!
This issue features the President’s message by CSAM President, Anthony Albanese; 2020 Public Policy Report; and Updates from the Education Committee!
- The ABPM & ASAM Announce a Four-Year Extension of the Practice Pathway for Addiction Medicine Wednesday December 09th, 2020
Chicago, IL, November 30, 2020: The American Board of Preventive Medicine (ABPM) and the American Society of Addiction Medicine (ASAM) jointly announced today the American Board of Medical Specialties’ (ABMS) approval of a four-year extension of the practice…
Click Here to Read the entire article.
- DEA Issues Interim Final Rule Clarifying MAT Dispensing Friday November 06th, 2020
The Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) issued an Interim Final Rule to clarify sections of the 2018 SUPPORT for Patients and Communities Act. The provisions in the Rule seek to further expand providers’ abilities to prescribe medication assisted treatment (MAT) to individuals suffering from opioid use disorders.
Key items addressed in the Rule include:
Providers can prescribe MAT for up ...
- Press Release: Gov. Newsom, Lt. Gov. Kounalakis To California: Beware Big Tobacco’s Lies and Deception to Overturn Landmark Law to Protect Kids Tuesday October 13th, 2020
Click Here to read the Press Release.
- CSAM Newsletter Winter 2019 Issue Monday October 21st, 2019
Winter 2019 CSAM Newsletter
An Interview with CSAM’s New President Dr. Anthony Albanese – Pgs. 1-2; 7
Low Barrier Buprenorphine for Opioid Use Disorder: A Feasible Strategy to Save Lives and Livelihoods – Pgs. 3; 11
CSAM Addiction Medicine Review Course and Board Exam Preparation Track 2019 – Pgs. 4-5
Timmen Cermak, MD Receives Vernelle Fox Award – Pg. ...
- Governor signs two addiction treatment reform measures, vetoes two others Tuesday October 15th, 2019
This past week Governor Gavin Newsom signed AB-919 (Petrie-Norris) which promises to crack down on financial conflicts-of-interest among rehab operators by limiting how they offer housing and transportation as inducements to treatment. It will require that laboratories that test blood or urine for drugs, or outpatient treatment programs that offer housing to clients, have separate housing contracts specifically ...
- Newly Released: Guidelines for Physicians Working in California Opioid Treatment Programs Wednesday September 25th, 2019
The California Society of Addiction Medicine (CSAM) just released an update to its “Guidelines for Physicians Working in California Opioid Treatment Programs (OTPs)” developed to provide an overview and discussion of the matters of clinical care that fall under the responsibility of the Opioid Treatment Program (OTP) Medical Director and Program Physicians. The Guidelines were prepared and ...
- Governor gets 4 bills that would crack down on addiction treatment scams, raise standards Thursday September 19th, 2019
Governor gets 4 bills that would crack down on addiction treatment scams, raise standards Link to article about these bills that appeared on 9/18/2019 in the Orange County Register CSAM’s co-sponsored bill, AB-920 (Petrie-Norris), is on the Governor’s desk to sign. This bill would require outpatient centers, which are now unsupervised by the state, to be licensed, regulated, and ...
- CSAM Newsletter Spring 2019 issue Monday May 13th, 2019
CSAM News Spring 2019
President’s Message – Follow the Evidence
The Death Certificate Project | CSAM President’s Testimony at the Medical Board of CA
CSAM Leadership Development Retreat
CSAM Addiction Medicine Review Course and Board Exam Preparation Track 2019
Funding Provides Scholarships for Mentored Learning Experiences at CSAM Addiction Medicine Review Course
Call for CSAM Board of Directors Nominations
CA Bridge Program ...
- New MAT Webinars on CSAM Education Center! Wednesday March 20th, 2019
Please visit the CSAM Education center to watch the new MAT webinars: Real Cases of Buprenorphine-Naloxone Treatment: What to do and how to do it? featuring CSAM members, Soraya Azari, MD, Kenneth Saffier, MD, FASAM and Scott Steiger, MD, FACP, FASAM.
Transdermal Buprenorphine for Induction of Patients with Co-Morbid Pain featuring CSAM members, Soraya Azari, MD and Tauheed Zaman, MD. These ...
- Recommendations for Safe Opioid Prescribing Friday March 01st, 2019
CSAM Recommendations for Safe Opioid Prescribing
Version 1.0 (03/01/19)
These recommendations were initially developed by Kaiser Permanente and then modified and endorsed by Safe Med LA and on December 12, 2018 by the California Society of Addiction Medicine’s (CSAM) Committee on Opioids. They are based on recommendations and guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and ...
- CSAM Newsletter Winter 2018 issue Wednesday December 19th, 2018
CSAM News Winter 2018
President’s Message – CSAM’s Voice for Treatment is Being Heard
California Leads U.S. with Highest Number of Addiction Medicine Fellowships
Interested in Supporting Harm Reduction Efforts?
A Call to Advocacy Editorial – End Discrimination Against Healthcare Providers with Substance Use Disorders
MERF Hosts Record-Breaking Number of Scholars and Mentors at CSAM’s Annual Conference
Swath of Bills Signed ...
- CSAM White Papers and Policy Statements Sunday November 11th, 2018
Standards For Access To Addiction Medicine Services with Executive Summary
- CSAM Newsletter Spring 2018 issue Tuesday June 19th, 2018
CSAM News Spring 2018
President’s Message – What’s Ahead for CSAM in 2018?
Applying Your Addiction Medicine Know-How
CSAM Implements Grant to Expand Medication-Assisted Treatment in California
Membership Update – Vote to Include Associate Members Passes
CSAM Welcomes a New Education Director