Webinar: Clearing the Air: Marijuana’s Effect on Health
Posted July 29, 2014. CME credit no longer available.
Changes in the public perception of marijuana have contributed to profound changes in drug policy and enforcement, as well as significant changes in availability of marijuana products. Dr. Danovitch’s presentation will provide a review of recent findings on marijuana with an emphasis on addressing questions patients frequently ask their physicians about its use, and based on up-to-date science, suggest ways to improve physician-patient discussions about cannabis and apply them to a clinical setting.
Presenter: Itai Danovitch, MD
Dr. Danovitch is President of the California Society of Addiction Medicine, and Chair for the Department of Psychiatry and Director of Addiction Psychiatry at Cedars Sinai Medical Center. His research interests have focused on substance use disorders, particularly marijuana, as well as the integration of medical and mental health services.
Upon completion of this program, participants should be able to:
- Answer patients’ questions about whether marijuana has legitimate medical benefits.
- Answer patients’ questions about the seriousness of marijuana’s harms.
- Explain to patients which treatments are effective for marijuana use disorder.
- Utilize a better system of communication with their patients about marijuana and cannabis products.
- Summarize the importance of competently counseling patients about marijuana.
Disclosure: None of the faculty or planners of this activity disclosed any commercial interests.